The Jacksonville BPAC and Bike Ped Coordinator hosted the first annual Car-Free Week event in 2017, where the public posted commute selfies with the hashtag #CarFreeWeekJax and attended the Closing Awards Ceremony — an experiment yielding some totally inspiring results. All week we followed participants’ social media posts, and were thoroughly impressed. Much of the time when we go without a car, feelings of isolation can burden even the toughest of car-free commuters. This event proved there are so many of you out there! Thank you for sharing your experiences — a much-needed connection rarely felt before. Here’s to keeping up the solidarity for years to come!
HOW TO PARTICIPATE
- Decide which car-free option is best for you — or choose several options
- Decide which day of the week is best for you — or choose the whole week
- Take a photo or video of yourself on your commute and post it to social media using the hashtag #CarFreeJax18
- Fill out a quick survey. COMPLETING THE SURVEY IS REQUIRED TO BE ELIGIBLE TO WIN PRIZES AT THE AWARDS PARTY.
- Attend the Awards Party on Friday, May 18, 6:00pm-8:00pm, at Hyperion Brewery Co. for a chance to win prizes. Don’t forget to invite your entourage to cheer you on in case you win!
Find other participants and let others know you’ll be joining:
Come out and meet like-minded people for a night of camaraderie and recognition for a job well done!
Check out photos of last year’s Ceremony on the Awards Ceremony page. And here are last year’s commuters in action. They enjoyed the full spectrum of car-free commuting — walk, run, bike, bus, skyway, and even a kayak! :